On this page
- What to expect
- Meeting Search
- Meeting Locations in West Great Lakes ACA Intergroup
- Special Events Calendar
- New Meetings and Changes
- Who: ACA Meetings are made up of people who wish to recover from the effects of growing up in an alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional homes. Many of us identify with these common survival traits.
- Duration: ACA meetings are 60 minutes to 90 minutes in duration. There are some two-hour meetings with a break at one hour.
- Live Meeting Format: The ACA meeting might focus on reading and discussion of ACA literature or a recovery-related topic. Members are asked to avoid intellectualizing the topics. We talk about our feelings and our life experiences and how the literature, Step work or other ACA recovery works in our lives. We share about personal change, working the steps and connecting with our inner child and higher power. We talk openly about our lives and our hope.
- Telephone and Virtual Meeting Format: Telephone and Virtual meetings are accessible by either Telephone, Smart phone or computer as described in the meeting information. Follow the meeting instructions to gain access. Participants are asked to mute themselves if they are not sharing. There are many formats (described below), but most telephone/virtual meetings have a meeting chairperson who reads guidelines and describes how the format works. Participants take turns reading from the ACA Text. Next, the chairperson asks for volunteers to share, one at a time, about their experience relating to the topic or reading. As with the live meetings, we talk about our feelings and our life experiences and how the literature, step work, or other ACA recovery works in our lives. We share about personal change, working the steps, and connecting with our inner child and higher power.
- Respect: There is no “cross talk” which means no one interrupts or criticizes what another has to say, members speak only from their own point of view and experience. If there is ever perpetrating behavior, the meeting moderator will drop the perpetrator from the conference calls.
To find the details on any meetings in this area please go to https://adultchildren.org/meeting-search. There you can choose from a number of meeting locations and times and find information on the whens, wheres and the whos of meetings in our area as well as around the world.
For a list of all meetings associated with the West Great Lakes Intergroup, which includes meetings in Greater Chicagoland, Southern Wisconsin and the northwest corner of Indiana as well as a number of Virtual meetings. For a complete list consult the meetings list at the Adult Children Website. If your meeting seems to be missing please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org for help.